Sunday, April 22, 2012

Too many Dougs.

My anti-social tendencies are showing and on Friday I asked my husband a question which sent me into giggles for the rest of the afternoon, laughing at my own ridiculousness.

I have six neighbors who fall in the zone of the known - meaning I may possibly interact with them.  Beyond that bubble, I know them not.  For the six I know, I only know one of their names.  Doug.  So to make things easier on me I came up with a foolproof naming system.

Here are my neighbors in clockwise order around my house - Doug #1 (a.k.a. the original Doug), Doug #2, the Druggies, the Renters, Doug #3, and the Vagrants.

It has never been a problem before.  My husband and my children understand the code (even though my husband actually knows their names, he humors me).

On Friday I started to pay the bills, only to discover I had one of my neighbor's.  I read the name on the envelope and went to ask my husband this question:  "Which one of the Doug's last name is--"  At which point I stopped, because only one of them is actually named Doug - The Original Doug.  The idea that I had considered this question for over a minute, thinking it would be easier to narrow down the Doug rather than locate the neighbor by his address, struck me as foolish, and silly, and vaguely perfect.

I love the Dougs.  And then I found out Doug #2 is divorcing his wife.  He moved out this weekend.  That neighbor is now Ex-Doug.  Hopefully she never finds out.

No comments:

Post a Comment