Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Kauai - Day Four

Drove north then east.  The road became narrower, sometimes becoming a one lane bridge road.  When we finally found the parking lot at The End of the Road, we were thankful we had rented a Jeep.  It, like the trail we were about to climb, was rocky and hard to manage.




The Na Pali coast is only accessible by trail, air, or boat.  We, having neither boat or plane, chose the trail.  Rock by rock we climbed and were very lucky that the normally rainy season had not been rainy.  On each overlook, Mandy looked for whales.  She found one (or several) every time (entertaining others who did not possess her eagle eyes).




We were passed by a no-shoe-nature-boy, some hippies, a pair of overly dressed (and highly cologned) prepsters, several older people (Grrrrr), and three running men (no shirts, tan, sweaty...ahem...yummy).  It was our first afternoon without roosters crowing every few minutes.  We enjoyed the sounds of the surf, the wind through the palm trees and me swearing when I slipped on rocks.


I paused to let a centipede the size of my foot cross the trail.  I was frozen in fear and neglected to take a photo.


We ate at a crowded open air bar called Kalypso.  The Bronco/Steeler game was on and most of the patrons were Denver fans by the sound they made at the end of the game.




Raiders of the Lost Ark was filmed somewhere around here and I kept thinking about the poor people who had to lug all that heavy equipment up the steep, slick trails.  I was holding my camera and a walking stick and it was too much at times.  The worst part was that my skirt (skort) had no pockets.  Why did I purchase a skort with no pockets?  What was the point of that?




Anyhoo...then we saw a lighthouse. (It was not a miniature lighthouse, even though in the picture above my noggin would block most of it...I have a very large head)


Then we collapsed at the hotel, in the hotel pool, and threatened a couple of locals who were trying to pick us up.

2 comments: