Sunday, September 11, 2011

Weekend

I am nearly done with edits.  Spent almost two solid days working on it.  My back is sore and I have a headache, but I'm happy.

Today we celebrated a birthday.  It didn't occur to me until we were singing that no one would say my mother's name.  That was my dad's job.  We were all so emotional, our initial melody was off.  We had to stop and start over, laughing at ourselves, the three sisters standing together...where our father would have sat.

The last birthday he sang with the family was Jake and Sarah's.  He should have been here today to sing to my mom.


Ten years ago, we sat outside at a restaurant celebrating mom's birthday.  It had been an emotional day, full of sadness.  We marveled that there were no planes in the sky.  Today, I watched ceremonies on television marveling at how resilient we are as a country.  How we fundamentally agree about standing up against those who attack our freedom.  We'll argue all day about stuff that doesn't matter, but when it comes to the important things, we act as one.  Bravery has it's own political party.

I also watched my Jets win over the Cowboys, which was good because I smack talked someone all day and really needed them to pull out a win.  The fact that they won by three (which I hastily predicted in one descriptive text), was a bonus.

Football season has started.  Normally, I would be reviewing the college teams with my dad...teasing him about USC (his team) and complaining about UCLA (my team).  The next few months are going to be very difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment