Saturday, December 3, 2011

College football...and aging.

Watched Bones and enjoyed what Brennan said to Booth about time not functioning in a linear fashion (according to some quantum scientists).  That would explain why within the span of thirty minutes I can feel  each of the ages I have had the good fortune of being, all in random order (of course when I bend my knees and hear them creak it brings me right back to the present).

Tonight I spent a little while as a football fan, watching the Big Ten championship game and remembering a cold, windy night in Colorado fifteen years ago.  My sister and I toughed it out during a wintry CU game and saw Kordell Stewart lead the Buffaloes to a win.  Flash forward to the first Bronco Super Bowl win.  The phone lines became jammed and it took thirty minutes before anyone could call us.  No cell phones then...no texting...Twitterverse hadn't experienced the Big Bang yet.  Just us in snowy Colorado with our fathers calling us to join in on the fun.  Flash back to me, age ten, learning the rules of football.  X's and O's suddenly had new meaning and looked impressive lined up on a scrap of paper.

Back to present day and a tragic penalty against Michigan to end a great game.  Imagined my father sitting in his chair watching the trophy be awarded to Wisconsin.

I took a break from the back and forth memories and stepped outside with the dogs.  It's been a cold and windy day, but that translates to a clear sky with lots of stars.  I looked for satellites.  Found Orion and his belt.  Wondered what app I would need to know if the planet I was looking at was Venus.  Remembered sitting on my Grandma's front porch with her husband Hank.  There was a meteor shower that night and we were watching for shooting stars.

Age means having too many memories to fit into one evening and aging means not being able to control the flow of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment