Saturday, June 5, 2010

Okay forget what I just said. I was wrong.

I hate rewrites. I'm in rewrite hell. What astonishes me and really shouldn't is how long books are. I know it should not be a surprise that I can't rewrite the whole thing in an evening, but it never fails to disappoint me when I spend an hour writing away only to realize I've only completed one chapter. AHHHHHH. At this rate it will be months.

But it can't be months. I've resolved to finish February at the end of June. Which besides sounding funny, leaves me only a few more weeks. A few being defined as less than four in this case. So right now Sam is at the police station again, but I need her to be in her house with Maxie so the big showdown can begin. Can I get her there? That is the question.

Here's a teaser from the last bit I wrote:

"I've got patience for one, maybe two snide comments from your direction, but that's all you'll get. So if you're really interested in solving this case you'll sit down, shut up and start taking notes."

The room was silent except for Skipper blowing his nose.

"You've got a lot of nerve Parker."

"That's Detective Parker," Ben said practically spitting. "That desk you're sitting at is mine and I'd appreciate it if you'd take your team and resign yourselves to the desks we gave you when you started this case."

Moretti stepped up, his face close to Ben's. "I'll have your badge when we're done here."

I grabbed Maxie's hand and squeezed tight. Ben's face was unreadable, his eyes the darkest I'd ever seen them. I wouldn't have been surprised if fire suddenly shot from them.

"If I can't bring in the bastard who killed John MacCauley then you're welcome to it," Ben said finally, shocking the entire room.

Hmmmmm. Now what?

1 comment: