Wednesday, February 1, 2017

The beginning has begun...

Chapter one for each Samantha Rialto books floats onto the page. It doesn't land with a lot of words - a thousand words tends to take a couple of days - but they are easy words, they enter with verbs and adjectives and proper sentence structure. But it is more than that. The first chapter always helps me ease back into her world, into her head, into the demons that threaten to overwhelm her. So, last night was fun for a lot of reasons, but mostly because the beginning of the book has begun.

Also, I hired an editor for my middle grade book. I love this story so much and I want it to succeed and for that I needed help. I found a wonderful freelance editor on Twitter, she sent me a sample of her work, and it looks great. We start in March. Next step is to hire an artist to draw the cover. I want something very specific sooooooooo, we'll see. But I'm going to try.

Finally, I decided to read a chapter a day on writing. Today's book is Writing Tools by Roy Peter Clark. His first chapter is about structuring a sentence for success. Subject and verb at the beginning. He cites some great examples and as usual I will try and apply it during tonight's writing session, but knowing how my brain works I will forget it all and start every sentence with "I looked...."

I am challenged.

No comments:

Post a Comment