Monday, November 19, 2012

Advice for writers...

At the Barnes and Noble event I was asked several questions about writing and self-publishing.  Since I am just me, it felt a little strange to be giving advice, so I primarily focused on what I'd learned over the past year and a half and what my opinions were on the subject.  I'm not against traditional publishing.  My choice to self-publish was a personal one and I'm glad I did.  The fact that I achieved some success was a nice bonus.  If at some point my writing grabs the attention of someone who wants to help me traditionally publish, then great.  But frankly, I'm fine if it stays this way.  I have wonderful readers who I enjoy hearing from and it has been very rewarding.

I found some great links to articles written by folks who are more knowledgeable than I am on the subject of e-publishing.  One from Forbes, CNN, New York Times, LA Times, just to name a few (click on the names to go to the links).  There are also a ton of self-published authors who seem to have moved from focusing on their writing to helping others publish their books.  I'm going to stay focused on the writing and let others be the expert advice givers.

But before I redirect my energy back to April Undercover (which is going to be so much fun...) I wanted to share some of the things I discussed with the group on Saturday.


Here's a quick list of to-do's:

  1. Take classes, join a critique group, get feedback and an education.  Don't assume you know what to do and how to do it.  I'm still learning and I will continue to learn for pretty much ever.  Every class I take teaches me something.  If I ever figure this whole thing out, it will be GENIUS, I say!
  2. Create a platform.  Get a website, blog, set up a Twitter and Facebook page.  Whatever social media you are comfortable with, get on there so that your readers can find you.  And share with them.  This is the most difficult part for me...making time to keep in touch with folks.  But it's important.
  3. Have patience.  Not only for yourself, but for your writing.  Though we strive to be the next that may not happen right away.  Your inner voice may be too loud to hear what is really going on.  And that brings me to...
  4. Be brave.  Yes, self-publishing is not traditional and will probably mean that your novel isn't on the shelf of your favorite book store.  But some of the best things in the world came from indies who were brave enough to try.  So put it out there.  Listen to the feedback.  Put the time and effort into making it the best it can possibly be.  (And while you're waiting for all that delicious feedback, don't forget to read.)


Knowing how you write is as important as perfecting the craft.  Here's my story:

Stage One - Bliss
Everything flows when I first start a story.  Whether I write two hundred or two thousand words I LOVE it.  I love the characters, the scene, the direction I'm headed.

Stage Two - Commitment
At some point I think about finishing the story.  I make a conscious decision to tune out the distractions, silence my self-doubt, and plow on.  About midway through I craft an outline: put scenes on index cards and make sure I've addressed all the major plot points.  At this point I set goals - word count, times of day, dates for draft edits.  I'm not always successful at sticking to the goals, but I keep trying and eventually (in the case of March - too many months later) I have a finished first draft.

Stage Three - Purgatory
This stage really should be called hell.  I need a minimum of four months to edit a story.  I also need at least four draft edits before a final polish.  I am often seduced by Bliss during this stage, writing out the beginning (and sometimes entire chapters) of a new story.  It is very easy to get lost in this stage - editing, editing, editing....  The self-doubt comes ROARING back.  I seem to spend every moment thinking about writing, and feel guilty if I waste a moment of free time by not writing.  When I finally finish the story and declare it done I spend approximately five minutes congratulating myself before starting the next one.

I have a support group that is second to none.  If you work full time or if your writing time is limited, it is important to have a group of people urging you on.  I have that and I know how lucky I am.

And to finish this tale I thought I'd insert a picture of my nephew and my husband photo-bombing the picture.  Love him.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have great advice to give and hope you develop a platform to give it. Think of the writer you were two years ago. Wouldn't that person want advice from the writer you are now? Just saying... :)

    ReplyDelete