Sunday, October 28, 2012

Everything comes down to the last few seconds...

I have exciting news to share and will be posting some updates soon on my Facebook page and Twitter.  I can't believe that after months of sentence by sentence construction A Violet March is ready to be released.  I'm tending to refinement now: making sure words have all the required letters, sentences don't end without a period, and quotation marks enclose actual quotations.

This book was intensely personal for me because there were significant events that affected my family during the thirteen months it took to write it.  I am therefore making a commitment to myself and to my fans that April Undercover will be fun, lightweight, and nothing emotionally complex will happen.

Okay, I take some of that previous sentence back, because I know these characters and I have a feeling they will find themselves in some kind of emotional quagmire.

While we're being honest, let me just say that I envy every writer out there who can construct perfect sentences and scenes the first time round.  That just isn't me.  Sometimes it falls together, but more often than not I edit, re-edit, edit again, edit while smacking myself over the head with a bat, edit in my pajamas, late at night, while I'm watching football so I can distract myself from the task...I could go on. And I've grown to love editing and no longer berate myself when it takes a full afternoon to fix one sentence.  Because in the end there will be something I can be proud of.

But it takes so freaking long to get there.  AHHHHHHHH!

I'm taking a break at the moment to say good-bye to a wonderful friend who is moving away.  *sad face.  More to come in the next few days....


No comments:

Post a Comment