Friday, December 30, 2011

Steadfast Focus

2011 was a series of interruptions.  I could not claim one routine.  There was no such thing as "me" time, not that it was of paramount importance anyway.  Every hour of every day was a choice and each choice meant that I was not spending time on something else of equal importance.  Sometimes the decision was clear.  But other times, what ultimately won my time, maybe didn't deserve it.

There were weddings, one of which I couldn't attend.  There were meetings and work obligations.  There were graduations and award ceremonies.  There were hours and hours at the hospital.  There were hugs to give and hands to hold.  Appointments to keep.  People to consider.  There were times when the tears fell and I did not have the energy to feel ashamed or the will to stop it.

The science fan in me knows that the turning of the year was an arbitrary decision by forefathers and that the act of resetting the clock does not truly return us to the beginning.  There really isn't a reason for the year to end in the midst of a season, a moon phase, a planet alignment...

But I don't care.  I'm glad the year is ending.  I need things to start over.  I'm a fan of resolutions (as I've said before in this blog) and I plan on making them.

For 2012, I resolve to be focused.  Finish what I start.  And be happy.  That's pretty much it.

Oh, and laugh...a lot.



1 comment: