Saturday, July 16, 2011


My sister was married in a wonderful ceremony that cleaned out tear ducts and provided us an opportunity to hug, hug, hug, hug...cry...hug, hug, hug each other.  I have always thought of both of my sisters as beautiful, but to be honest, they have never been more beautiful than on this day.  From morning to night, our hearts were filled with genuine contentment.  We had no concerns.  She was marrying a wonderful man who has a wonderful family who we honestly love.  Friends and family we don't get to see very often attended and we enjoyed every minute.

The weekend started with a fun evening at my mother's house.  My Uncle provided wonderful guidance during the dinner - because without him how would we have known what to do?  I mean, pizza can be so confusing.
Me with my Uncle, my cousin and his son...my other cousin - Three generations.
 Then the next day I picked up my Aunt and sister and we all trooped over to the bride's house to make bouquets and flower displays.  On the way we picked up Del Taco - appropriate wedding day food.  Once everything was put together we transported everything to the park, meeting the groom and his brothers as well as other friends and family who were there to set up the chairs and orchestra equipment.

There was a brief moment of humor as my children and I helped a family friend move a large canopy.  We were like Pooh with a giant blue balloon as we maneuvered the canopy through the park, unsure of where to place it.  Eventually we decided to just leave it close to the general area we thought it might be needed.  Then we scrambled in the opposite direction hoping no one saw us leave it there.  "I have no idea how it got there, I swear...the wind?"

The ring bearer.  He was very proud of this responsibility and showed off the rings to everyone who asked to see them.
We did not rehearse and had no idea what the bride wanted us to do.  We only knew we were to stand up with them.  So when the music began, we all trooped out, trying not to trip, cry or look foolish.
The pastor conducting the ceremony did an amazing job.  He made us laugh with the retelling of how the groom's brothers hunted down my sister on Facebook, worried that their brother might be hanging with the wrong woman.  Then the groom made us cry by reading a letter to my niece about how much he looked forward to being part of her family.

My father, at first unsure that he'd be able to say the toast after the ceremony, found that the friendship, joy and goodwill gave him the strength to say what he needed to.  After the reception, the family headed to my house for the after party.  We surprised our new family with a disco dance performance.  We had practiced so much (in four inch heels) that my toes were blistered.  They were properly appreciative and we laughed along with them.

Oh, and I got to see this woman.  My beautiful Grandma.
Very wonderful time and can't stop smiling about the entire weekend.

2 comments: