Monday, August 30, 2010

Springfield, Illinois

Springfield, Illinois is the hometown of Abraham Lincoln. The only home he ever owned is somewhere in the middle of town. The historic site opens at 8am and we are going to try and go by before our 10am appointment. Because I can't see flying for four hours and then driving for four hours and not rewarding myself with some history.

Now if only I could figure out why there is a giant (and I mean giant) bronze statue of Abraham Lincoln on the I-80 between Cheyenne and Laramie. From what I have learned so far that statue was really a tribute by a dedicated fan - who ended up having his ashes interred at the base of the statue.

The magazine I was given when I checked into my hotel suggests that I create a picture blog of the various picturesque barns that dot the cornfields in the area. I suppose that admitting that I'm not such a fan of barns is not something I should do, at least until I'm home.

No comments:

Post a Comment