Friday, February 3, 2017

Scanlan Is Alive (and I am very happy about that)

Friday. Friday. Friday. Friday.

Critical Role was on last night. Scanlan is alive and I am very glad about that. If you don't know what I'm talking about you are missing a fantastic show. Every week eight actors get together and play Dungeons and Dragons on Geek and Sundry's Twitch channel. My husband helpfully let me know I was crying as I watched. I let him know that it was very emotional when Grog the goliath sang a song (to the tune of the Washington Redskins fight song) to dead Scanlan. Trust me when I say the show is good.

The third chapter in Writing Tools by Roy Peter Clark is about strong active verbs and how to use them. It cited an Ian Fleming Bond book, which gave it tremendous clout in my mind (because I'm a crazed James Bond fan...which I know goes against every feminist inclination I have, but I accept that about myself). I have a tendency in my writing to use passive verbs when I should be making them active and I have learned to try and catch it as I edit. I'm going to try being conscious of it during my writing tonight.

And speaking of that writing...it is slow going, but it is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment