Monday, April 28, 2014

A Hundred Thousand - What does it all mean?

This is what it is all about.
As of a few days ago I tipped over the 100,000 mark in terms of books sold. To celebrate I ran two miles in 85 degree heat and nearly passed out. Then, when I could walk again, I took a shower, brushed my hair, and took my son to Starbucks for a donut. It has been a glorious few hours.

When I realized how many of my books had sold I started thinking about what it all meant. Turns out my life has changed dramatically since April 2011 (the date January Kills Me went up for sale). But rather than run maudlin I thought I summarize the top five things I've learned in three years.

  1. If you have a psycho bitch for a friend - ditch her (or him). And don't look back. You don't have enough time to waste on people who only want to bring you down. Your friends should help lift you up. Period. End of story.
  2. Critics don't rule the day. Pick and choose who you want to please, and give up the idea of being everything to everyone (it isn't an achievable goal). Along that same line, don't let yourself be taken advantage of. Easier said than done (especially for me, the uber-pleaser), but important to remember. Just because someone believes something about you doesn't mean they're right and you are what they say (and anyone who bullies you that way should be ignored).
  3. Writing is hard work. It takes time, and revision, and time, and careful read throughs, and time, and honest readers, and time, and editing. So that first pass is just a first pass. The second pass will be better and the third even better. But eventually you have to stop and let it go. Let everything go. And then wince, as what took you over a year to write, takes someone only a few hours to read. But then rejoice as they send you notes, emails, messages about how much they loved it, how it helped them smile, and how much they want more. And then drag yourself out of a weirdly overwhelming depression and start to write again.
  4. Give up the idea of writing for a living. This one is just for me. I thought maybe I'd be successful enough, but turns out writing doesn't pay. Not enough to live on, anyway. So mostly I write because I love the act of writing (and I harbor a romantic notion that I was meant to do something artsy). I love to create characters. I love dialogue, mystery, intrigue, heroes, romance, captured moments, and laughter. (SIDE-NOTE: Did you know today was superhero day? I did not. I feel like I missed out on an opportunity to wear a cape during my run.)
  5. Finally, the most important thing, find out what you enjoy and ENJOY IT. DO IT. Then try new things. Never stop being curious. Travel. Read.
Then forget you learned any of it and keep making the same mistakes. :)

I read an article about Martin Freeman in Entertainment Weekly today. I am a fan of Mr. Freeman. I think he is a very good actor. I found myself identifying with his brusque nature. But as I read the article I realized that it could only have been written in the manner it was (complimentary) about a man. If the same article had been about a woman she would have come off as a complete bitch. Which is annoying...

I have more to say, but I'm tired and feel like I've been babbling. BUT THAT'S OKAY. (*stares at herself in mirror...I like me...)

I'm a work in progress. A glorious, F&$#ed up work in progress.

4 comments:

  1. Although you mention that you can't write for a living, I hope that doesn't deter you in finishing your Samantha Rialto series. You are a brilliant writer and I've loved every book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are awesome Rhiannon. Thank you. And I'll keep writing. I can see the whole arc for Sam and I want to tell her crazy story. And it is something I can do to relax when my life gets a little stressful. :)

      Delete