Monday, March 7, 2011

Scary place to be...my mind...

Every writer has their own methodology.  One writer I know twittered this morning that she can't do a rough draft and polishes as she goes.  Another writer announced that he finished his latest book today.  He sounds rather excited.  He didn't even mention revisions.  Maybe the more successful you are, the less you require them. Sort of like - I have typed it, so it must be so.

Blech.  Here's how my mind works.  I finished my short story last week and I was on top of the world.  It was pure genius.  "Why yes, Regis, I agree it's fantastic.  A groundbreaking tale for young readers." "Kelly, you're too kind and your hair is amazing (but you are astonishingly tiny)."

But before I submitted it for the Pulitzer I thought it might be wise to have another look at it.  Low and behold, it had a few places that needed correction.  Oh, and I really should change the baddy's name, cause this one is too close to another book in the genre.  And seriously, did I think I could get away with the little girl saying that?  Cut, slash, move, edit, rewrite, add.  Sigh.  Done.  Genius.  AMAZING.

Print and hand off to eager readers only too happy to oblige with wonderful words of encouragement.  Go back to check on a few things and realize I've completely missed an introduction, ruined a transition and should never expect praise again.

And here I sit.  In editing hell.  Facing the light at the end of the tunnel that is an oncoming train.

2 comments:

  1. I have been rewriting the same 3 pages for EIGHT DAYS now. I might possibly have made a breakthrough last night... but I haven't looked at it again this morning so there's a very good chance that I am so, SO wrong.

    The chorus goes like this: "I SUUUUUCK! I suck I suck I suuuuuuuck!"

    Really. It's a very catchy tune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that first part and it is original and interesting and well written. If editing makes it better, great, but it is quite good as it is.
    And Andrea, I know how capable you are!
    Keep writing, ladies! I want to know someone famous!!:)
    Diane

    ReplyDelete